It’s November and as Christmas is around the corner, yours truly suddenly has a craving for something with cinnamon and is sweet. It also just so happens that I have a bag of Pink Lady apples in the fridge. Hence, I made myself French Toast with Apple Sauce. I’m so sorry that my measurements below aren’t exact…because I belong to the school of approximation! Or in Singlish, we call it agar-ration. As such, you might want to adjust according to your taste.
My recipe below makes 4 toasts and takes about 30 minutes to prep and cook.
Ingredients (for the toast):
1 tsp cinnamon
100ml milk/plant-based milk of your choice
4 tbsp sugar
4 slices of bread (I used multi-grain here but feel free to use white or even sourdough
Ingredients (for the apple sauce):
2 apples, skinned and cubed
1 tsp cinnamon
5 tbsp brown sugar (I used gula melaka for a local twist)
- Whisk the eggs, cinnamon, sugar and milk together until all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Heat a pan up and lightly oil it. While the pan is heating, soak your pieces of bread in the egg mixture. It helps if you transferred the egg mixture to a plate so that it’s easier for the bread pieces to soak up the egg mixture on both sides.
- When the bread has soaked up the egg mixture and the pan is hot, fry the bread pieces for about 2 minutes on each side or until the egg is thoroughly cooked. Be careful, don’t burn the pieces. You may want to turn down the heat a little when frying up the bread.
- Once your toasts are all done, you can use the same pan for the apple sauce! Melt enough butter to be able to cook the apple cubes.
- Once the apples are slightly browned, add in the sugar, cinnamon and a bit of water to be able to further cook the apples down till it’s soft but there is a syrupy sauce. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Serve the apple sauce over the toasts and enjoy!