Tangy, zesty and tart. You can’t go wrong with this classic – a fluffy, toasted meringue topping, it’s impossible to resist. Serve with a glass of Nyetimber’s Cuvee Chérie Multi-Vintage for a touch of decadence.
Serving suggestion: fresh raspberries and lemon zest; Nyetimber’s Cuvee Chérie Multi-Vintage
Method for lemon curd filling
- To make the filling, combine the caster sugar and cornflour in a small bowl then mix to a paste with the lemon juice and Limoncello.
- Transfer to a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Allow to bubble whilst stirring for 1-2 minutes or until thick, then reduce the heat and stir in the egg yolks and lemon zest.
- Once fully mixed in, stir in the butter until smooth.
- Pour into the pastry case and allow to set.
Method for meringue
- Place the caster sugar in a medium sized saucepan with 75ml water.
- Bring to the boil then use a sugar thermometer to gauge when it reaches 120°C.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a free-standing mixer and whisk to stiff peaks (start doing this when the temperature on the thermometer is 110°C)
- Once the syrup has reached 120°C, remove from the heat immediately and with the mixer still running, pour a steady stream into the egg whites.
- Keep whisking until the meringue is cool and shiny looking.
Remove the tart from the tart from the tin and place onto a serving plate or board. Spoon the meringue onto the top of the filling and edges of pastry. Use the back of a spoon to create flicked peaks. Caramelise the meringue.
Pour a glass, cut a slice and enjoy!
Image: Nyetimber and Clarence Court