I honestly did not set out to make mango salad but my online grocer sent me 2 unripe mangoes and I didn’t realise that before putting them into the fridge. As such, they never got the chance to ripen and when life gives you unripened mangoes, you make mango salad!
- 1 unripe mango
- 1 red chilli
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cut the mango into thin, matchstick-like pieces.
- Slice the shallot into thin slices.
- Slice the chilli into slices. If you want it to be spicier, leave the seeds. If you don’t want it too spicy, remove the seeds.
- Put all the ingredients, except the peanuts, into a bowl and mix well. Let it sit for about 1 hour before you top it off with the peanuts and serve.
When I made this, I didn’t have any fish sauce so how do you make up for that? You will need to increase the amount of soy sauce to 2 tablespoons and then add in about 10 dried shrimps. This needs to sit for longer than an hour for the flavour of the dried shrimp to finally come out. Feel free to substitute the sugar with sugar alternatives such as stevia or honey. The recipe is just a guide and the best way to make this dish is to constantly taste it so that you know whether to add more soy sauce or sugar according to your liking.