Ok, I admit…this photo of my yam paste looks terrible and doesn’t do justice to this traditional Teochew dessert…but I don’t care because it tastes better than it looks. LOL. I didn’t have any ginkgo nuts so this recipe doesn’t have it but I honestly LOVE ginkgo nuts so please try to add them into your final dish! This is healthier because I didn’t use lard, used oil sparingly and I used probiotic honey and stevia instead of white sugar. The below recipe serves 2-3 pax.
- ¼ yam (approx 300g), diced
- 1 tbsp shallot oil (I used olive oil so that it’s slightly healthier than vegetable oil)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp stevia
- 3 tbsp probiotic honey (or any honey you prefer)
- coconut cream (not milk)
- Steam your yam for about 30 minutes until they’re soft in the middle
- Mash with a hand masher or put it in a blender, until you get a paste
- Mix in the honey, stevia and oils until smooth
- Taste. You may want to add in more honey or stevia to get your preferred sweetness
- Top it off with coconut cream and serve!
This dish is so easy to make and so satisfying. Hope you guys try it one day!
Image: Melissa Fann