Sweet and decadent, that’s what I’d describe my dessert here. It’s really quite simple but you just need the right ingredients. The recipe below serves 3.
Ingredients (for the baked banana):
1 tbsp Malibu Rum flavoured with coconut
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp sugar (preferably brown)
dollop of butter
pinch of nutmeg powder
raisins are optional
- Cut the banana length-wise and place in a shallow baking tray
- Pour the rum over the bananas
- Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg over the bananas before adding the dollop of butter on top
- Bake till the sugar starts to really brown and the bananas are all soft
If you like raisins, do add the raisins into the baking tray together with the bananas but ensure that there’s a bit more rum to cover the raisins. This is to prevent the raisins from getting burnt as well as for them to hydrate with the eventual ‘sauce’ created.
Ingredients (for the sauce):
1/4 cup Malibu Rum
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup hazelnut milk (substitute with cream if needed)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and lower the heat once the butter is all melted
- Add in the sugar and stir until all is dissolved and it starts to bubble
- Add in the hazelnut milk and stir until the sauce thickens slightly
- Pour in the rum and continue to stir until the sauce thickens to the right consistency
If the sauce isn’t thick enough, add in a bit more sugar. Do note that the sauce should turn slightly brown.
To plate, I placed the bananas on one side and added 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle the Hazelnut Caramel Sauce over and voila!